Architect Certificate of Practice

The OAA regulates individuals and legal entities involved in the practice of architecture in Ontario. Anyone who wants to practise architecture in the province and offer professional services to the public must first obtain a Certificate of Practice. 

An applicant for a Certificate of Practice must be an architect in good standing with the OAA, hold professional liability insurance, and comply with applicable regulations. For further information, including coverage amount requirements, review Terms and Conditions for Mandatory Professional Liability Insurance.

As per the Architects Act  and Regulations, the OAA requires all members and holders of Certificate of Practice to keep their records current and true. Please contact the OAA for any of the following:

  • any change to a firm’s Certificate of Practice, such as a change in firm name, contact information, or change in corporate structure/ownership;
  • addition or subtraction of licensed members to the firm’s Certificate of Practice; and
  • for corporations, any and all proposed alterations or amendments to the corporation’s incorporating documents, bylaws, or corporate structure, including any unanimous shareholder agreements pertaining thereto.

Categories of Certificates of Practice

  • Corporation
  • Partnership
  • Sole Proprietor

Applications and Guidelines:

Corporation Application and Guidelines

Partnership Application and Guidelines

Sole Proprietorship Applications and Guidelines


Gail Hanselman
Administrator, Certificate of Practice
t: 416.449.6898 Ext: 203


OAA Certificate of Practice Holders
Only an Architect who is licensed in Ontario and is a holder of a Certificate of Practice in Ontario is permitted to offer and/or provide to a member of the public a service that is part of the practice of architecture.

CoP = Certificate of Practice

Related Links