Sustainable. Architecture for a Healthy Planet is the first Certified B Corp Architecture Firm in Canada
29 Jul 2019
Image Credit: Sustainable. Architecture for a Healthy Planet
Architectural Credit: Sustainable. Architecture for a Healthy Planet
Sustainable. Architecture for a Healthy Planet, founded ten years ago, has embraced the triple bottom line of People, Planet, and Prosperity as balanced parts of a whole. Our intention has always been to run a successful business while creating a healthier environment and stronger communities. The journey to B Corp certification necessitated that we quantify how our beliefs and actions are stacking up.
B Corporations meet the highest standards of social and environmental performance and public transparency. The certification creates legal accountability to put the social and environmental impacts of our business on equal footing with profits. The certification process is rigorous, taking into consideration not only our output of work but the impact our company has on our employees, clients, contractors, community members, and the environment. We have had to rethink and formalize some of our processes, which makes us a stronger, more transparent company. We are also able to celebrate our achievements and reflect on the impact we’ve had over the last ten years.
As a certified member, we have access to a global community of business leaders that balance profit with purpose. We also have access to like-minded employees and clients, through formal and informal settings, that can easily identify our values by seeing our certification.
We live in a time of pressing environmental concerns at local and global levels. Architects have the ability to effect tangible, long-lasting positive change through design. Let’s push the industry forward by embracing sustainable corporate governance. We are proud to be Canada’s first Certified B Corp architecture firm, but we certainly hope that we’re not the last. Please join us!
The B Corp declaration of interdependence states:
• That we must be the change we seek in the world.
• That all business ought to be conducted as if people and place mattered.
• That, through their products, practices, and profits, businesses should aspire to do no harm and benefit all.
• To do so requires that we act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
Is that not a declaration to which the architecture industry should swear?
10 Sustainable Firsts in 10 Years
• 2019 - First architecture firm in Canada to achieve B Corporation certification.
• 2018 - First design firm in Toronto to win third consecutive Best Design Firm in NOW Readers’ Choice Awards.
• 2017 - First design firm in Toronto to win second consecutive Best Design Firm in NOW Readers’ Choice Awards.
• 2016 - First architecture firm in Toronto to win Best Design Firm in NOW Readers’ Choice Awards.
• 2015 - First architecture firm in Toronto to achieve LEED Platinum for Homes - Renovation.
• 2014 - First architecture firm to receive Pollinator Advocate for Canada award from the North American Pollinator Protection Campaign (NAPPC).
• 2013 - First place in the American Institute of Architects (AIA) - sponsored international design competition for a Resilient House for Far Rockaway, New York.
• 2012 - First architecture firm in Canada to be recognized by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) for our dedication to creating Healthy Housing.
• 2011 - First place in the Design by Many - sponsored international design competition for a Passive House for New Orleans.
• 2010 - First among fundraisers with Swallow Hollow at For the Birds auction in support of Toronto Botanical Garden.
Flag as inappropriate