Baldassarra Architects is seeking a candidate to fulfill the role of Architectural Designer. We require someone with strong design skills who can work independently to develop building elevations, floor plans, and site plans. We are looking for an individual with an eagerness to learn and develop their design abilities as well as gain technical knowledge.
Baldassarra Architects is a family-owned, boutique architecture firm located in Vaughan, designing award-winning work in the commercial, industrial, and residential sectors. We offer candidates exposure to a wide variety of projects, all at different phases, with a high degree of responsibility and involvement. We are a growing firm, with a dynamic, challenging, and creative atmosphere, always looking for talented individuals willing to join our team and be a part of something.
Learn more about us at our brand new website at www.baldassarra.ca
Note: As of December 17, 2017, Baldassarra Architects is located directly on the TTC's Line 1 Yonge-University Subway line with the opening of the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre subway station.
We offer employees competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package consisting of health, drug, vision, and dental coverage. In addition, we offer employees developmental training throughout the year to enhance professional and personal skills.
- Professional degree in Architecture, or Architecture-related discipline
- Minimum 5 years of relevant project experience, ideally within the commercial and industrial sectors
- Excellent computer rendering abilities with particular proficiencies in softwares including AutoCAD, SketchUp, and Photoshop
- Basic technical construction knowledge (as it relates to functional design) is required
- Experience with municipal submissions (Site Plan Approval process) is strongly desired
- Ability to lead and work within a team environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
The Architectural Designer role within our firm handles objectives related to the categories of Master Planning, Municipal Approval Stage, Detailed Design, & Construction Support. Each day will consist of a combination of the below activities, for a range of different project sizes and types, each at different phases.
- Develop efficient and creative land use design scenarios given a site
- Review and resolve land developmental constraints including:
- Unique site features
- Municipal codes/by-laws
- Client needs
- Economic restraints/concerns
- Create powerful architectural renderings, complete with massing and shadow/sun studies as required
- Create conceptual perspectives by overlaying renderings onto photos or Google Earth images
- Prepare graphical & descriptive Urban Design Briefs to accompany project submissions
- Meet with planning consultants to incorporate feedback
- Evaluate implications of traffic, noise, and environmental consulting constraints
- Meet with large retail corporations, acting as a client rep., to coordinate space needs and uses
Municipal Approval Stage:
- Submit planning applications (site plan approval process), and coordinate with municipalities at each step
- Meet with planning departments to resolve outstanding issues, interpreting municipal by-laws and building codes along the way
- Work with clients to understand and assess needs
- Use AutoCAD to develop architectural drawings including floor plans, site plans, and elevations, for project marketing or proposal use
- Design creative and impactful building features
- Efficiently "space plan" areas within a building to suit client specific needs
- Specify details including materials, products, colours, and finishes
- Coordinate with sub-consultants and construction team to complete conceptual design
- Communicate with product representatives, manufacturers, and suppliers to stay up to speed on latest product offerings and capabilities, ensuring in-house library remains up to date
- Work with the production and construction teams to transition designs into working drawings
- Evaluate design alternatives, provide suggestions from a value engineering perspective
- Re-develop design features to incorporate a practical application