We are looking for a qualified craftsperson to produce scale models with an established architectural fabrication team, at a widely-recognized architectural firm. You will be helping architects, consultants, and clients develop and understand projects through physical studies and presentations. In an industry that has adopted a largely digital approach, it is critical that an office continue to use physical study as an integral part of the design process.
Our ideal candidate is an individual with great hand dexterity, an eye for detail, knowledge of wood/plastic/metal/adhesive/fastener/other material properties, and a good understanding of the architectural design process. Working with little supervision while following all health and safety standards is essential.
- Passion for designing and building beautiful and well-crafted objects
- Ability to work and communicate in a healthy and constructive manner with teammates, managers, and project leads
- Proven experience in both architectural design and architectural physical modelling (Other artisanal skills are an asset)
- Excellent understanding of modelling techniques and methods of fabrication
- Proficient in using electrical and manual carpentry equipment (table saws, bandsaws, sanders, routers, hammers, handsaws, chisels, files, knives/cutters, rulers, etc.)
- Proficient in AutoCAD, Adobe Suite, Sketchup and/or Rhino (Revit, Grasshopper, and other digital modelling software are assets)
- Ability to read technical documents and drawings
- Willingness to follow safety guidelines at all times
- Good knowledge of English
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Architecture, Environmental Design, Interior Design, or an equivalent field
- Read architectural drawings and sketches to fully grasp requirements
- Interpret architectural drawings into shop drawings to be used for producing models at a particular scale
- Use traditional wood/plastic/metalworking machinery, hand tools, foam cutters, laser cutting services, 3D printing services, and CNC router services to fabricate models of the design project
- Apply design sensibility and personal innovation to the development of new and unique manners of developing, studying, and representing architectural projects
- Contract and maintain relationships with outside services, such as laser cutting, 3D printing, and CNC router businesses, as well as material suppliers
- Clean and maintain shop equipment and shop space
- Maintain inventory of stock material (wood, plastic, metal, foam, adhesive, fastener, paint and other project supplies)
- Assist in maintenance of the general office space
Please forward your resume to: email@example.com
While all applications are appreciated, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest.