Watson MacEwen Teramura Architects practice architecture with a passion for design. WMTA partners devote their personal attention and professional expertise to every project they undertake. In addition to projects completed by our team, we regularly collaborate with architects across Canada. Many of our projects involve participatory design.
We undertake a wide range of building types: our portfolio entails commercial work, studies, institutional work, heritage projects, and laboratories. Many of our project begin with first principles and are one-offs. Our clients include universities and colleges, and the federal government, including the NCC. Our projects range in scale from large to small.
We are a mid-sized Architectural firm, our only office is located in downtown Ottawa. We are looking for a motivated and energetic team player to share our passion for architecture and to grow with the firm.
We are seeking a full time Architect (Intermediate level), whose input and experience will be sought for on a variety of projects. We are looking for a skilled and professional person with a range of experience in working with institutional clients (university and colleges) and the federal government. You will be working on a wide variety of interesting projects and will work on those projects from their inception to completion.
In some of our recent projects, we have incorporated CLT construction in an off-the-grid facility, applied passive house principles in a commercial building, designed a warehouse which, now constructed, introduces colour and interesting night lighting into an otherwise staid industrial area. We are in the midst of designing an unusual laboratory and have utilized laser scanning on a number of historical structures.
- This is a long term position with an opportunity to advance within the firm.
- The profile of the majority of our projects allows a small team to enjoy the development of the design and the execution of the construction within a period of time which is reasonable and gratifying.
- Our only office is in downtown Ottawa on Lisgar Street, between Elgin and Cartier.
- Our office environment is an open studio.
- We are within walking distance to most of our clients; overlooking the roofs and masonry façades of City Hall.
- We provide competitive salaries, and a health benefits plan.
- Our offices are close to restaurants / shopping / transit / bike paths.
- Minimum of 6+ years of experience in an architectural office.
- AutoCad and Revit, 3D visualization software skills including SketchUp.
- Experience in working on a large team, and independently on smaller projects.
- Skilled at transitioning designs to construction documents.
- Skilled in contract documentation: experience in building materials, .construction methodologies.
- Research experience on new and heritage materials.
- Experience in coordinating documents with engineering sub-consultants and other disciplines.
- Experience in reviewing costing from cost consultants.
- On-site contract administration experience.
- Canadian experience; understanding of OBC.
- Aware of municipal and other authorities having jurisdiction; experience in developing packages for bylaw/zoning and other approvals.
- Ability to achieve security clearance at the secret level.
- Good writing and communication skills: ability to develop and communicate ideas and concepts with graphic and written clarity.
- Ability to work as a team member both in the office and with our clients, and consultants.
- Proven ability to mentor other in-office team members.
Duties will include, (but not be limited to):
- Working through all phases of projects from proposals through design, construction documentation and on site construction administration.
- Researching materials for new and heritage conservation projects.
- Writing and designing/formatting studies and proposals.
- Working on projects with other team members to develop the design and the detailing for new construction and heritage renovations.
- Reviewing construction documents as part of our internal quality control.
- As a team member, you will be undertaking complete packages of construction drawings and specifications and moving on to taking responsibility on job sites, reviewing construction on site and completing contract administration duties both in the field and in the office.