Make a difference
Are you passionate about design and construction and looking for an opportunity to work with an organization that is dedicated to improving the lives of residents from diverse backgrounds? Do you want to use your leadership experiences to influence community growth? Do you have leadership experience? If this sounds like your ideal career, then Toronto Community Housing is the place for you! We are searching for a collaborative and strategic leader who enjoys working in a dynamic and energetic environment. In this role, you will get to lead a team of professionals and work with internal and external partners to manage the design of major and minor architectural and building sciences construction projects for retrofit and renewal in residential buildings.
What you’ll do
- Oversees multi-disciplinary design and engineering services for construction projects including retrofit, renewal and rehabilitation projects ranging in size, scale and complexity.
- Identifies opportunities to bridge the ongoing work of the Design and Engineering Unit with the longer term objectives of the Capital Planning Unit and TCHC’s Energy Management Strategy.
- Manages an architectural, engineering and administrative team to successfully deliver design services for a broad spectrum of construction and program services.
- Provides the team with a high level of Building Science expertise and technical knowledge of integrated building systems, notably exterior envelope design.
- Takes ownership and provides leadership to their team in all aspects of assigned projects, services and financial viability.
- Ensures that programs and methodologies are developed to maximize efficiencies and support high quality design work and project visioning.
- Supports the Director with strategic input to best leverage funding opportunities and oversees the delivery, tracking and reporting on various capital repair and energy programs.
- Plans, implements and manages business and work plans for the designated programs to support TCHC corporate plans, direction and vision.
- Leads regular program review meetings with stakeholders, including reporting and commenting on variances, opportunities, trends and strategies.
- Oversees and ensures the efficient operations of their unit.
- Directs staff on the fundamentals of design and design process to ensure designs produced are comprehensive, achievable, coordinated, innovative and cost-effective.
- Develops a mentorship program in the designated discipline incorporating TCH’s succession plan. Identifies the individual(s) for training and development in future leadership roles.
- Provides education, training and mentoring to staff to ensure stakeholders are in program management, technical development, and legislative requirements.
- Plans and directs the development of streamlined business processes to manage budgets, schedules and mitigate risk.
- Manages financial accountability, costs controls, and project scheduling.
- Tracks and prepares reports on the Unit’s financial operations including cost analyses, data forecasting and work load management.
- Responsible for the Unit’s management, performance and budget.
- Ensures regular program budget reviews and forecasts for services, expenditures are completed in a timely fashion.
- Provides strategic input to best leverages funding opportunities in support of capital needs throughout the TCHC portfolio.
- Identifies opportunities to consolidate the work of the Design and Engineering Unit in order to develop broader project mandates and multi-disciplinary master plans for individual TCHC developments.
- Forecasts and manages the resource requirements in developing a flexible model including in house and market resources to manage the cyclical needs of TCH.
- Develops unit and program wide control standards, procedures, and guidelines.
- Facilitates the development and recommends corporate standards through market research and industry standards in conjunction with various stakeholders.
- Provides technical advice in support in all aspects of service delivery including procurement, and participation in capital planning and setting of budget priorities.
- Assesses and implements improvements to systems and processes to ensure smooth process flow between divisional units.
- Participates in planning the objectives, methods and resources of short and long range operations, monitors and reports on overall performance.
- Provides leadership to the division and determines goals, objectives, staff resources and key performance indicators.
- Develops, organizes and establishes design tools and recommends benchmarks for measuring performance.
- Develops and Implements the Key Performance Indicators as required to effectively monitor and improve service delivery.
- Working closely with the Vendor Management Team to recommend performance metrics, and develop and implement tools for measurement, monitoring and reporting to safeguard the provision of a high quality of consulting services.
What You’ll Need
- Registered Professional Engineer in the Province of Ontario or Architectural degree from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 7 years experience in the specific architectural or engineering discipline with general project management experience.
- High level of Building Science knowledge and technical expertise.
- Possesses the necessary management skills to work effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders, and to supervise management, unionized staff, craft trades, and professional staff.
- Proven ability to analyse complex data and develop practical and creative solutions.
- Knowledge and proven experience with budgeting in order to establish economically viable programs and to evaluate financial impact of new measures.
- Ontario-based knowledge and experience in a Consulting environment.
- Understanding of the relevant legislation, by-laws and codes affecting residential development and construction.
- High level of Building Science technical expertise and knowledge of integrated building systems, notably exterior envelope design.
- Strong knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Construction Lien Act for the construction industry.
- Analytical skills in developing, evaluating design and constructability issues and recommending value engineering.
- Proficient in preparing, reading, interpreting construction designs and documents, preparing and assembling design estimates and working budgets, cash flows and pricing.
- Ability to deliver a wide variety of project scopes and manage construction schedules, cash flow and to ensure timely completion of construction work.
- Knowledge of sustainable building design and implementation
Please apply through our company website: https://www.torontohousing.ca/careers/Pages/Current-opportunities.aspx