05 Sep 2015
Image Credit: Toronto Modern, https://robertmoffatt115.wordpress.com/2011/06/17/exhibition-place-goes-modernist/
Architectural Credit: Philip R. Brook
The original main entrance to the exhibition grounds, this historic gateway has been rebuilt three times (1895, 1910, and 1959). The original gateway was erected in 1895, and was superseded in 1910 by a more permanent, ornate Beaux Arts style entrance designed by Toronto architect George Wallace Gouinlock. Complete with a streetcar and railway stop, the Gouinlock Gates were decorated with flags, lightbulbs and garlands. With the construction of the Gardiner Expressway in 1956, the 1910 gates were demolished to make way for the roadway.
Built 15 metres south of its predecessors, the 1959 gateway was designed by architect Philip R. Brook and consists of a 20 metre high parabolic reinforced concrete arch. Its shape was inspired by Eero Saarinen’s famous Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri, which although designed in 1947 was not completed until 1965. The Dufferin Gate was one of the seven major structures added to Exhibition Place between 1948 and 1962 which exemplified the Modernist architecture movement in Toronto. In 1993 the new Dufferin Gate was listed as a City of Toronto Heritage Property.
Flag as inappropriate